He photographs the original vinyl pressings of the emblematic albums of the history of music, on the decks where they would have been first played.
With already more than 100 images, "Worldrecords" offers pop titles of legends of Rock'n' Roll icons such as AC / DC, David Bowie and Pink Floyd, crooners such as Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, or more experimental pioneers like The Velvet Underground and Kraftwerk.
Alongside the methodical nature of this work is the idea that music can resonate with our individual experiences through listening.
"Worldrecords" is a methodical catalogue of an era when the listening experience was more physical and tactile; but this series is also contemporary, with the resurgence of audio files, by putting on a pedestal the vinyl pressings as objects of art. Kai Schäfer pays tribute to these unforgettable analog sounds and sound experiences that highlight each groove, label and key, so that these images become tangible - subtly audible in their nostalgia.
- November 2014 : Fotofever Photography Art Fair, Carrousel du Louvre, Paris
- December 2013 : Pulse Miami, Miami
- October 2013 : Parallax Artfair, London
- October 2013 : Contemporary Texas, Houston
- September 2013 : Art Show, Düsseldorf
- September 2013 : Artfair Berliner Liste, Berlin
- July 2013 : Solo exhibition Kopeikin Gallery, Los Angeles
- May 2013 : Google's art walk & auctions, Los Angeles
- April 2013 : Artfair AIPAD, New York
- June 2012 : Solo show at Rock am Ring, Die Toten Hosen and Metallica signing "world record".
- December 2012 : Christie's auction for Germany "heartbreaker" (Aids Düsseldorf)
- December 2011 : Christie's auction for Germany "heartbreaker" (Aids Düsseldorf)